The Tugboat Alma was built in San Francisco by the Beviacqua Brothers near Fisherman's Warf in 1927. She was typical of the small wooden tugs and utility craft that worked in harbors along the west coast in the first half of the 20th century. Tha Alma was traditionally built of sawn oak frames and carvel planked with Port Orford Cedar. In 1974 the last owner operator coated her exterior with ferro cement.
The Alma's significant action in history came on the morning of December 23, 1941 when she dashed out from her mooring at the Cayucos Pier to search for survivors of the Union Oil tanker Montebello. The tanker had been attacked and sunk by a Japanese submarine off the coast of Cambria, California where she lies today on the bottom in 880' of water. Of the three lifeboats carrying all 19 crewmembers the Alma picked up two. The others went to shore on their own and landed near Leffingwell just north of Cambria.
In 1995 the Alma was donated by the Kelsey Family (owners of Sylvester's Tug Service) Today, after more than a half century of service as a line boat, fishing vessel and harbor tug, she rests on land waiting to be spruced up for presentation at the proposed maritime museum.
Specifications Year Built: 1927 LOA: 48.0 ft. Breadth: 13.0 Draft: 5.2 ft. Displcmnt: 16 tons
The Spindrift is one of the few surviving Monterey style boats that were popular in the 1920's through the 1960's. The Monterey hull style is a derivation of the Mediterranean Felucca, a style that was introduced to this country by a wave of Italian fisherman immigrants to northern California. Like the Alma, the Spindrift was also built in San Francisco by the Beviacqua Brothers at their Fisherman's Wharf yard. Her construction consists of a carvel planked hull of Port Orford cedar over sawn oak frames with a wood cabin. She was powered by a 3-53 GM marine diesel engine. In August of 1999 The Spindrift was donated to the Central Coast Maritime Museum Association by the Fort family of Morro Bay in memory of the late Mr. Doug Fort. She will be hauled out soon and placed on a cradle to undergo sprucing up for permanent display at the Maritime Museum.
Specifications Year Built 1933 L.O.A. 30' Breadth 9'6" Draft 3'6"